Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Dirty Little Story

was directed by the late, Jean Eustache. A Dirty Little Story is a damn dandy little story of one's man obsession with looking through a peephole in the floor in a French cafe' bathroom.

Yep, we're taking another voyeurism tour today, boys and girls.

Did someone say, obsession?

I've said this before in previous blog postings, but hell, I say it again: I enjoy a well, written, and well directed film that makes me think about things. Films that illicit feelings of madness, sadness, or gladness is a film for me (I sound like Dr. Seuss). I don't mean sappy-happy either. If you get a chance to see A Dirty Little Story at your local Art House Movie theater, go. It's disturbingly good.

Yes, the main character in the film is undoubtedly a voyeur, and yes, we did visit this subject just last week. Like any good voyeur, they're driven sometimes to humiliating discomfort at the chance to sneek a peak. The voyeur character in this film was quite cerebral as well, because he later analyzes each unknowing and unwilling women's box, or pussy as he so casually refers to them in his diatribe rendition of personal voyeur experience.

I was pulled into the story though; fascintated. The voyeur's soliloquy, or his confession made me feel uncomfortable, okay, disgusted, but I still was pulled in. I was actually sitting on the edge of my seat, so I wouldn't miss a breath; a blink, or a word.

I know everyone walks away after the last film credit roll, or reading the last page of a book with their own emotional experience firmly attached. The person you sat next to while watching the film, or a conversation with someone about reading the exact same book may have a completely different viewpoint than yours, and of course there's no right or wrong reading.

For me, I thought Eustache did a phenomenal job at taking something so perverse and then weaving the views from both men and a women into the story; highlighting that women and men do indeed think much differently when it comes to sex, with or without a voyeur involved.

Ciao
NB

No comments: