Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stray Pussies


"Oooh, Oooh, Oooh, Oooh,

Black and orange stray cat sittin' on a fence

Ain't got enough dough to pay the rent

I'm flat broke but I don't care

I strut right by with my tail in the air

Stray cat strut, I'm a ladies' cat,

A feline Casanova, hey man, thats where its at

Get a shoe thrown at me from a mean old man

Get my dinner from a garbage can


Yeah don't cross my path


I don't bother chasing mice around

I slink down the alley looking for a fight

Howling to the moonlight on a hot summer night

Singin' the blues while the lady cats cry,

"Wild stray cat, you're a real gone guy."

I wish I could be as carefree and wild,

but I got cat class and I got cat style.

Written by The Stray Cats


Why did I choose to blog about stray pussies, and paste The Stray Cat Strut into my blog today?Maybe it has something to do with the statistical fact that there are 60,0000 stray cats living on the streets of Cleveland, Ohio. I think those numbers are staggering and sobering. I didn't just make that number up either, I did some research; that number comes directly from the Animal Protective League.

Maybe my blog today has something to do with the fact that I've already taken in not one, but two; two stray cats off the streets; giving them a nice home, and lots of love. Maybe, just maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've been recently introduced to a third stray cat, and yes, she's currently living in a confined space in my house after going to the Vetrinarian Doctor to to be tested for minor things like, Feline AIDS, and Feline Leukemia. Fortunately, she's healthy. Yes, she's a female, so that meant she would have to be spayed also. That major operation was done on Thursday; she is resting and healing as I write.

Of course it's not these poor defenseless animals fault; its the bad judgment and lack of responsibility of their owners. People that move away; leaving their pets behind to fend for themselves, or perhaps someone's pee-sized brain doesn't think it's natural to spay or neuter their pet, so they let them run free; free to procreate and contribute to the already epidemic conditions of animals that live without homes. I'm fucking sorry, but there's nothing remotely romantic nor erotic about watching some poor animal eat from a garbage can; later to die a slow and painful death because it was poisoned.

Furthermore, I'm not the only bleeding heart in my neighborhood that's taken in strays. One of my best friends (a once non-cat lover) took in a stray last Spring; this one was pregnant and she had to make the decision to abort the kittens. Can you imagine? It was difficult enough to find a home for one cat, let alone a litter of kittens. The decision she had to make, tore her up inside. She ended up adopting this cat, affectionately now known as, Lena-Felina.

Another fabulous couple I know that live in my neighborhood, and happen to own one of Tremont's best bars; the fun and funky, Literary Cafe. They have at least six cats currently living between their house, and the bar below. Yep. All pussies were once living on the streets of Cleveland, Ohio.

If I sound a bit pissed off, it's because I am pissed off. I swear if I find out about one person that doesn't take responsibility for their animals, I will take them out and personally shoot them with my daisy rifle; slowly, and painfully; ridding the pariah from society. Think I'm kidding? I'm not.

Please be kind to all God's creatures and take care of them; be respectful and help keep them safe and protected. For the love of God, spay or neuter your animals, because it's the single most loving thing you can do for them and others around you.



Comments?

Button above can be purchased here via Etsy.

No comments: