Friday, December 26, 2008

The Rub

I've been pondering the rub in a story I've been thick at working on these past few days.

What is the rub?

Some of you that know me, already know what the rub means. For those of you that don't, let me explain: It's that place. It's that moment. It's the ephiphany of realization that takes your breath away; triggering something inside you that creates a visceral response: hairs on your arms and at the back of your neck stand tall, chills run down your spine, knees buckle, tears well up, panties get wet and cock's stir. To me, the rub is the sweet spot in every story.

As I get closer to the finish line of completing this story, I feel a little like a race horse making that final furlow turn - my heart is pumping fast in my chest, the sweat lines my brow, I can feel the wind blowing through my hair; it rushes past my ears, stinging my eyes...so close, so very, very close.

Do I break the yellow ribbon as the tip of my nose crosses over the line? No. I stop dead in my lucky, horseshoe tracks. I go back. I re-read the story again for the 673 time. Why? Because this story's rub just isn't quite right...yet.

How's your project coming along over the holiday weekend?

Taking another lap or two around the track,
Neve Black

8 comments:

Neve Black said...

Kirsten,
Funny, I did take English saddle riding lessons when I was too young to understand the true meaning yet: firmly planting each of my thighs into that large, beautiful animal's sides and lifting myself up, down, up, down, up, down; posting to each rhythmic beat.

I'm sending rub thoughts to you, KM...as you wind your own way around that race track when creating your own story. :-)

Marina said...

Hi Neve! Happy Holidays!

Thanks for taking a peek at my new blog! I'm honored that you're my first post! (Hmmm - you've de-flowered a virgin blogger!!!)

Have a great New Year!

Neve Black said...

Hi Marina,
Hmmmm...de-flowering virgins is one of my specialities. Welcome to the world of blogging.

Happy New Year to you too!

Craig Sorensen said...

Hi Neve,

Yep, I know what you mean by the rub. I've been pretty productive at working on things, but not finishing them myself. Working on editing a book I finished the first draft of in early 2007 plus I worked on a couple of short stories.

It's odd to look back at something you did a couple of years before and kind of dismissed.

The book in question might just be an illustration of your thoughts on "the rub."

There are things to like in it, but some things just aren't right.

My verification word is nosmated.

When wast the last time your nosmated? ;-)

Neve Black said...

Hi Craig,
It's so great to hear from you.

Yeah, I keep going over this piece - over and over (like I do with every piece, I suppose). I'm searching for the glimmer, that certain touch that sings to me, and makes it feel magical.

I'll be excited to read your novel Craig when it comes out. I love the concept.

It's funny the things that aren't quite right (repel us) are the same damn things that draw us in, eh? The Rub. :-0

Jeremy Edwards said...

Is it true that rubnosemating is a common practice in some cultures?

Neve Black said...

Jeremy,
You never fail to crack me up!

Thank you for that. :-)

Jeremy Edwards said...

Aw, thank you, Neve! : ) You're awesome.