Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Trouble with Tribbles


The image above is from a 1967 Star Trek episode and today's blog title. My older brother was obsessed with everything Star trek. I was obsessed with everything my brother did, because he was so much older than me and really cool. I'd scootch and wriggle my little body onto our gold couch, with its short, angular wooden legs, until I felt my back pressing against the large, square cushions and my feet were sticking straight out in front of me. I wanted to be right next to my brother and watch Star Trek too.

I remember one year, my brother convinced my two sisters and me to dress up as his favorite Star Trek characters. I think I was Lieutenant Uhura, but I can't be certain, because I was only about four years old. He also loved the Beatles. And my mom still has the pictures of all of us dressed to look like the band members of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. Hey, what can I say, it was California and it was the 60's.

My young mind was programmed by watching Star Trek episodes - "Set your phaser on stun, gentlemen." Captain James. T. Kirk used to say after beaming down onto an unexplored planet.

Today, I refer to Star Trek episodes, or I quote lines from films as anologies in conversations. For example, when I find myself having trouble with something, like the ending to a story, or feeling perplexed by a publisher, and or I'm just feeling frustrated with things that are beyond my control, I refer to this as having trouble with tribbles. And then I head off to Yoga. If Yoga fails, which its practice rarely ever does, then I have comfort knowing my phaser stun gun is safely stashed away in my handbag - and I'm ready to do battle with the bad guys that are causing me tribble troubles, aka: Klingons.

What are some of your past experiences that you use today?

Beam me up, Scotty -
Neve

p.s. I found the original 50 minute The Trouble With Tribbles episode if you have the time or the interest.

No comments: