Sunday, February 1, 2009

Just when you thought it was safe...

what do I do? I take you back to the Oscars again.
Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona was the in-flight film I watched recently while flying from Brazil to the Mojave desert as part of the on-line sensual and moveable feast. I really enjoyed this film, which I missed seeing on the big screen last year (thumps my head).

In my opinion, Woody Allen is a true master at writing dialogue. Somehow Allen manages to touch upon his character's (or his) deepest and often most painful neurosis while he creatively weaves humor through each conversation. His films evoke such raw emotion in me. I find that I'm laughing, blushing while also identifying with his characters in some way.

VCB was filmed exclusively in the city I've been having a long-term love affair with, Barcelona, Spain.

The story is about two best friends, Vicky (Rebecca Hall) and Cristina (Scarlett Johannson) that travel to Barcelona for a summer. Each woman's reasons for the journey are as equally different as their characters. They meet a splendid Bohemium painter, Juan Antonio (Javier Bardem) and later we're introduced to Juan Antonio's volatile ex-wife, Maria Elena (Penelope Cruz). Ahhh...the plot does thicken. To quickly summarize, the story is about how each character in the film is faced with sexual attraction and what he/she does with it. Once again, life imitates art and art imitates life.

You'll have to rent this one on DVD, but be sure you do. It's a must see.


Feeling Woody Allenesque neurotic,
Neve Black

No comments: